What Is Amazon Home Services? Is It Worth It?
byon February 8, 2019
Amazon launched its Home Services operation in early 2015 to help its customers find home repair and maintenance professionals, and it looks like it’s here to stay. But is it a smart choice for local service professionals?
How to Order a Home Service Through Amazon
Amazon makes the process very simple for their customers:
- Select the service
- Schedule the service
- Place your order
There are actually 2 ways to place an order:
- You can schedule a service right from the Amazon Home Service website at amazon.com/services.
- Or, you can bundle a service with a product. In this scenario, you’ll select the service that you need with the product. For instance, if you are buying a large flat-screen television, Amazon will give you the option of scheduling professional service.
Amazon customers have the option of adding Expert Installation for certain products, such as plumbing fixtures, appliances, windows, TVs, and more.
You can also use the regular search bar to search for things like “air conditioning tune-up,” “yard maintenance,” or “garbage disposal repair” and service options will appear right alongside Amazon products.
Amazon is cutting out the middleman and going straight to their huge customer base to sell services. They don’t even have to advertise since the customers are already right there with a desire for home service.
When a product includes expert services, there is a button on the product page with the best estimate for the relevant service.
You can add the product and the service at the same time. In the checkout, you will be asked when you would like your pro to arrive, which you can always reschedule later. Your zip code will determine which services are available to you.
Amazon Home Services vs. Google Home Service Ads
- Amazon sets the price of service in many cases and takes a 15-20% cut for the cost of generating leads and doing business on Amazon.
- Amazon guarantees satisfaction for the services provided by participating service professionals with their “Happiness Guarantee.”
- This guarantee ensures that if a customer is dissatisfied with service, the job will be rectified or a full refund will be provided. They also offer price matching within 14 days.
Amazon Home Services Pricing
Services with defined scope which allow customers to purchase based on price estimates (ex: TV wall mounting, bed assembly, treadmill assembly, move-in or move-out house cleaning)
- 20% for the portion up to $1,000
- 15% for the portion greater than $1,000
Services purchased as a subscription plan for recurring appointments are 15%. That’s a big cut! You have to adjust your prices on Amazon to make it work. They used to charge around 10% commission on all service jobs, but now it is 20%.
The more Amazon takes, the more you need to raise your prices to reflect that. You don’t want to end up losing money on Amazon.
Tip: This is a nice trick to know in general. You can normally find cheaper prices for goods on Amazon by searching elsewhere. Amazon takes a pretty significant commission from everything they sell on their platform.
Amazon Home Service Requirements
- All Amazon Home Services providers are required to carry General Liability insurance with a limit of $1,000,000 US dollars per occurrence. You will be required to provide your insurance information upon registration.
- If you select a trade profession (Electrician, Plumber, General Contractor), you will be required to provide your license information.
Note: You will not be approved to sell your services on Amazon if you do not meet the above requirements.
How Amazon Home and Business Services Works
- You need the Amazon seller services app on your phone.
- You get an alert. You can accept it or not.
- You arrive at the job and clock in. When you are done, you clock back out.
- Like Google LSAs, you need a smartphone to use Amazon Home Services.
- Amazon usually process payments on Fridays, so you probably won’t get paid until Monday.
Even if the customer disputes the transaction, Amazon will pay you regardless. You don’t have to worry about getting screwed over by the customer, however, Amazon will not reimburse you for canceled appointments.
They expect you to show up at the job site even if the customer hasn’t picked up their phone. If they are not home, you are stuck with the short end of the stick. Amazon will not reimburse you for the time and gas it took to show up to a canceled appointment.
Amazon is currently working on a Home Service subscription service so you can get regularly service appointments on a regular schedule.
Is Amazon Home Services Connected to Alexa?
The short answer is yes!
Amazon has a lot of power and can be a big disruptive force in the home services industry. They act as the middleman between customers and service providers and take care of all customer interactions — the “Uber for home services”
Still, there has been a lot of complaints on both sides. They will need to refine their process, but once they do, we might all be scheduling local services through Alexa, our personal assistant.
Learn more about voice search and its impact on local search.
If you have any questions about Amazon Home Services, Google Local Services, or any other type of lead generation for the home service industry, contact VitalStorm.