Fall represents change. Change in temperature. Change in the color of the leaves. And change in your marketing strategy! Every so often, your marketing strategy deserves a refresh. The world of marketing is ever-changing, and your marketing strategy should be too. It’s important if you hope to gain new business and grow your business. Here are 5 simple ways you can refresh your marketing strategy so you don’t fall behind.
1. Do Your Research
Doing research is one of the best ways you can refresh your marketing strategy. There are many things you should be doing research on, including:
- New Trends: You should be researching new trends and how your products and/or services fit into the current market. This will help your brand stay current on how consumers’ behaviors are changing and how you can better connect with your customers.
- Target Audience: Do some research regarding your target audience. Defining and better understanding who your target audience is, is a great way for you to know how best to refresh your overall strategy to appeal to the right people.
- Competition: Conducting a competitive analysis is a great way to gain better insight into your major competitors’ products, sales and marketing tactics. A competitive analysis isn’t done so you can necessarily copy your competition, but it’s more so to learn about potential opportunities where you can out-perform them.
2. Evaluate Your Marketing Materials
Sometimes, making minor changes to your marketing materials can have some major benefits. Your marketing materials could include products and services, social media pages, website, brochures, customer service documents, physical banners used at tradeshows, and more. Let’s say you haven’t updated your website since 1997, you’re still using your old logo on social media, and the tradeshow banners you use have old photos and colors that no longer align with your brand. If your marketing material is misaligned, then it can negatively impact your conversion rates. Take some time to give your marketing a refresh by updating social media, your website, documents, banners, and more. When evaluating your marketing materials, take the time to also assess your brand’s overall look. Does your branding need a makeover? Some questions to ask yourself include:
- Is my brand modern and relevant?
- Does my brand align with the personality we hope to portray in the current market?
- Does my brand need
3. Publish Fresh, Relevant Content
One of the best ways to improve and refresh your marketing strategy is to create fresh, relevant content – and share it everywhere. Contrary to popular belief, you should only produce content that is of high-quality. Quality over quantity. If you just create content for the sake of having content, it won’t give you the results you’re hoping to get. Not only should you publish fresh content, but you should also improve your existing content to help your SEO (search engine optimization). There are many benefits improving your existing content has on your marketing strategy, including:
- Improves your click-through-rate (CTR)
- Allows you the chance to fix any grammar or spelling mistakes you made in the past
- Shows Google that your content is fresh and new
- Improves the accuracy of your content
- Improves the overall freshness of your website
- Shows value by removing any broken links or other problems with your old content
- Gives you the chance to add newer, better links, resources, and more
- Improves how frequently Google indexes your website
- Optimizes your content for the right keywords
- Repurposes your content for more backlinks
4. Perform Updated Keyword Research
As we briefly mentioned above, marketing is constantly changing and evolving – and so are your keywords. The keywords and phrases your audience might have used a few years ago, are likely not the same keywords and phrases they’re using now. Keyword research is the heart of your SEO strategy. It impacts every other SEO task that you do, like finding content topics, on-page SEO, content promotion, and more. It’s a great way to give your marketing strategy the refresh it needs to thrive. Once you’ve performed updated keyword research, you can use these keywords to optimize your content (on website, in blogs, etc). Be careful not to partake in keyword stuffing, though. According to Google, keyword stuffing is the practice of loading a webpage with keywords or numbers in an attempt to manipulate a site’s ranking in Google search engine results. In other words, it’s considered webspam or spamdexing.
Wondering how you can find what keywords to use? Consider using keyword research tools, like the following: Some keywords research tools include Google Search Console, Moz Keyword Explorer, SEMRush, and Soovle.
5. Pay Attention To Your Analytics
There is so much you can get from your analytics. Not only can you check your website traffic and other basic statistics, but you can also check out what keywords are drawing people in, who your target audience is, what your conversion rate is, and so much more. By understanding your analytics better, you can start to create specific goals, and measure your progress towards reaching those goals. These insights and tools will help you make better, more effective decisions regarding your overall marketing strategy. Without these statistics, you won’t have a clear idea of how well your strategy is working, what parts are doing well and what parts need improvement. Give your marketing strategy the ultimate refresh by tapping more into your analytics and measuring your progress and success.